– Dmitry Sergeevich! Could you tell me, please, in the course of Vladimir Putin’s visit to Beijing, will there be any wording related to our concerns about security guarantees in Europe? More specific, because at first there were such assumptions that, perhaps, Sergei Shoigu would go to the PRC, perhaps there would be some kind of joint declaration or a defense doctrine there. Then it didn’t seem to happen. Now what are we going to hear or see?
– To be honest, I have never heard suggestions that Sergei Shoigu will go to Beijing. Actually, this was never discussed. Where do you want…
“But he was there at other times.
– I didn’t quite understand the question.
– Well, the question is that Western commentators said that this means that Vladimir Putin went to Beijing not only to conclude some gas and oil contracts there and watch the opening of the Olympics.
– And they’re right, yes. He didn’t go just for that.
– Yes, not only for this. Here, and for what? But in order to enlist the support of his powerful, longtime old friend in his discussion (with the US and NATO).
– Russian-Chinese relations have a special character. This is an advanced strategic partnership. And, in fact, any contacts, just in the spirit of such a partnership, are carried out.
– OK, it is clear. That is, it will be a big plus for Russia in the debate that we are now conducting with the United States and NATO.